Thursday, December 6, 2012

Taking back Christmas!





It's almost Christmas. Only 19 days left to make sure you get everything ready that you need to get done... like your shopping and decorating! or not? 


This is the first year i've felt kinda iffy on the topic of Christmas. I love that the calendar includes a special day to remember the birth of our Saviour. That's inarguable. However, in today's society, Christmas is so much "more" than just the birthday of a little baby... it's business! It's pressure. It's nuts. :)




i have 3 small kids and i love to make them happy (who doesn't like to make their kids happy?). It brings me great pleasure to give any of them a piece of candy and see how their eyes light up and I might even get a hug out of it. It's pleasing. But any parent can tell you that you can't be giving kids presents all the time. You can spoil them... they come to expect something from you all the time - even when they don't deserve it. So now, Christmas-time rolls around and we finally have a great "reason" to give gifts. What do we do? We go overboard and let the flighty desires of our small children decide what's best to buy. Maybe this doesn't reflect the lifestyle of all my readers... But my point is that Christmas becomes a time of the year when we HAVE to put up a tree, HAVE to do shopping for presents for eeeeeveryone in our family, HAVE to make Christmas cards, HAVE to put out the twinkle lights all around the house, etc. Personally, to me it becomes more of a pressure society puts on me rather than a sincere joy for the season. 



So this year.... i've decided i've had enough. I'm taking Christmas back and making it what i want it to reflect in my home. No distractions! This means that I have no Christmas tree, i'm only sending out "love letters" to my close friends and family, perhaps a digital (email) family newsletter, and low-key/practical Christmas presents. My children are getting older and more impressionable. The oldest is 5, then 4 and almost 2. Every time we go to the city and they see the commercials on TV, they go nuts. "MAMA! LOOK!" I don't want to deprive my children of having nice things and toys to play with, but I want to avoid the obsession in their formative years. Perhaps if i can shield them from the craziness of the "Gimmes" they will be able to focus on the true meaning of Christmas and not become consumed by the "need" that so easily takes control of our spirits. 



I don't wish to offend anyone who does choose to decorate their home. I'm sure your houses look great. I'm sure you do a great job at focusing your family on the important part of Christmas (Jesus). I just know that in my case, the stress of having to put it all up and taking care of it (tree and lights) really doesn't have much to do with the meaning of Christmas. Why should i put myself in the situation where I can become bitter and angry (and violent?) just because a tree looks so pretty... but my little ones cant keep their hands off it? 
We lit our first Advent candle this past Sunday. This year the kids are old enough to ask questions and understand the basics of the meaning behind them. We light them in expectation of the return of our Messiah! The Messiah whom's birth we commemorate at 
Christmas. The kids didn't seem too impressed, but they did listen and it was special. 



I hope that however you wish to celebrate Christmas this year (or in general) that you'll remember that Christmas is what you make it. Put up a tree, go nuts with the gifts... it's ok! Just take care that among the "clutter" to not lose sight of the true meaning of it all. Light a candle... it might help you see better ;) 



A blessed Advent season to you all!
Cynthia











No comments:

Trixi's Story: Leishmaniasis

  Have you ever heard of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)? It’s possible that the term rings a bell, but you aren’t particularly sure what...