Have you ever heard of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)? It’s possible that the term rings a bell, but you aren’t particularly sure what it really means. Unfortunately, the source of your uncertainty is found within the name: neglected. These diseases are neglected – ignored, passed over, relegated, obscured, etc and therefore do not harness a lot of worldwide attention. Some of the most popular NTDs you might recognize are dengue, hookworms, rabies, venomous snake bites, leprosy and leishmaniasis. These diseases similarly affect people and animals.
For the past 14 years my husband and I have worked closely with leprosy. It is a complex diagnosis because it affects a person not only physically, but also emotionally and spiritually. The cure is free, but information and medical care travel slowly.
In 2010 my husband was diagnosed with leprosy. Fortunately, we happened to be working at a hospital specialized in leprosy at the time and he received a timely and proper diagnosis. Fortunately, also, because as a neglected disease, leprosy is not well known. Our reality could have played out so many different ways, if it had not been for that present situation in life.
Through this experience, my husband was profoundly moved to work in advocacy with and for persons affected by neglected diseases – most specifically leprosy.
Fast forward to 2023. We now have a decade and a half of life experience and collected professional resources with neglected diseases. Unconsciously, I think I had a mental Life List where I had already proudly ticked off the “affected by an NTD” item. It somewhere on the list above visiting BC, Canada and putting together a 2,000 piece puzzle. It’s done!
In April our family dog, a lovely hazelnut brown dachshund named Trixie, gets the sniffles. It was the beginning of our southern hemisphere winter, so we assumed it was just a simple cold. It wouldn’t go away, so I took her to the vet. The vet checked her over and said it was a cold. But she began to get weak, gunk started to seep out of her eyes and hair was falling out. This is when I started to suspect leishmaniasis and I brought it up at the next appointment. The doctor told us it was likely an allergic reaction to the construction we had going on at home. She injected her with a steroid, gave us allergy medicine, drops for her eyes and a multivitamin to boost her immune system. I asked about leishmaniasis and it was a clear “No. It’s not that.” Regardless, I insisted and offered to pay for the lab work. Even though (according to her) it would come back negative. Once again, I was dissuaded. I humbly reminded myself that I am a people nurse, not an animal nurse. I took poor Trixie home, where she continued to get worse. She lost interest in food and her skin began to develop sores. My husband and I talked and we decided to take her back to the vet one last time and insist that they do the leishmaniasis test on her or we would quietly go somewhere else to do it. I went back with her and, once again, had to insist to have the test done on her. This time I didn’t take no for an answer. The people at the vet were always kind and attentive to us. But at that moment, I felt judged and labeled as an exaggerated and histrionic pet owner.
27 June, the test results came back positive for leishmaniasis. We silently changed vets and began her treatment.
We sat in speechless wonder with my husband. How can it be that it took so long to get to the truth? We went to the right place. We did what we were supposed to do as responsible owners. We weren’t in financial straits and didn’t have to cut corners to save money. We even took the time to educate ourselves and were an active part of the appointments, suggesting a possible diagnosis. Why did our lovely Trixie have to suffer so much before getting her proper diagnosis?
The answer is in my opening statement - Neglected Tropical Diseases.
It was a bad luck of the draw; for us and for Trixie. Notwithstanding, we don’t want to dwell on the unfortunate experience. It’s over. But we do want to make the experience as useful as possible. An important part of ending systemic neglect is sharing. When we share and people listen, they learn. Consequently, whatever we have learned continues to be shared and eventually produces change. Change is our unified goal.
So, in Trixie’s name, this is what I am sharing:
- Leishmaniasis still happens.
- You don’t have to euthanize your pet because of this diagnosis.
- There is no cure for leishmaniasis, but there are several good treatments.
- Listen to your gut. Get a second opinion.
- Yes. Your pet looks ugly at the moment, but she will get better. Don’t forget to care for her. She needs your support.
- Share. Others also need to know!
Neglected tropical diseases around the world need people like you and me. They need our stories; stories that tell of struggle, triumph and defeat. Our words are are powerful and can advocate to produce a real change in this world.

No comments:
Post a Comment