Thursday, May 2, 2013

Lies Women Believe

I am reading a book with two other women called Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets them Free. It's been a very interesting book thus far (only just finished chapter 2!). 

Chapter two lists about 6 common lies that we believe about God. I'll just name a few: 
1. God is like my father
2. God isn't enough 
3. God is too restrictive
4. God isn't really good

So the author delves into the truths that releases our bondage to these lies citing scripture and also using modern day testimonies of other women who have something to say on the matter. 

Today we were encouraged to pick the lie that we have taken most for truth. I wanted to share mine...
 
God is not enough

Woah! Did i really just confess that straight on the internet for the entire world to see/read? Indeed I did. The fact is that most of us (myself included) know straight out that those 4 points I listed up top are blatant lies. BUT in reality, when we begin to examine the way we live out our faith, we come to realize that perhaps we do believe just a small portion of the lie. For example, the one I picked...

God is almighty. He is so.... "everything" that there isn't anything that can possibly escape his grasp. Of course He is enough for me. Through Him I have eternal life! With Him by my side I need not worry about 'trials and tribulations' because He is so much bigger than all that. Remember the Sunday School song? "He's got the whole world in His hands..." EXACTLY!

But I fell for a bit of the lie the other day... My kid was sick. Nothing serious... just the sniffles. I tried to keep the virus at bay by loading my kid up w/ vitamin C, plenty of water and rest. It just got worse. I had my husband help me out and he helped out with the healthy kids while I paid more attention to the sick one. Finally I took him to the doctor and got a treatment plan set up (meds and rest). But he was still sick and I called the pediatrician a couple of days after the appointment and voiced my concern. She told me not to worry... it's a virus. It'll run its course and be gone in 5-8 days. I talked to my friends about my sick kid, receiving their sympathy. I called my mother-in-law and she said she'd be praying that God would give me the strength and wisdom I needed to tend to my child. I even mentioned the sick child to my mother (who lives overseas!). Well, to make a ridiculously redundant story short, Day 7 came and I was exhausted for the snotty nose, coughing, un-restful rest, medication schedule, etc and was wondering if I, myself, was losing my own sanity... and i remembered... i hadn't prayed yet. 

Talk about a major crash with reality. In this case (and in so many other situations similar to this one) God wasn't enough for me. Because if He had been enough for me... I would have gone straight to Him with my troubles. Instead I felt the need to go to all those other people first... 

So... just a reminder to all you people out there reading this... examine the blatant lies you know about God and try to discern if perhaps you actually believe a little bit of them. It's worth correcting those lies because the TRUTH will always set you free ;) 

Happy Early Weekend 

No comments:

Trixi's Story: Leishmaniasis

  Have you ever heard of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)? It’s possible that the term rings a bell, but you aren’t particularly sure what...