The first weekend in April I ran my first 10k. It was a huge challenge! But i had been working myself up to it for the past year and 3 months. Little by little…
I started walking in Feb 2013, then jogging a little, then running.. In November of 2013 I ran a 7.5k for a local benefit. it was my first. Here at home my original (walked) 4k transformed itself into a 5k, 6k, 7k, 8k run. So I convinced myself i was ready for the 10k.
Dad gave me some of his old Nikes. Two pair. I regularly switched between the both of them to get the most out of them. They were great shoes.
Were…
I was 3k into the 10k and my sole starts to unglue itself. I ignore it and simply raise my left foot a little higher to not catch the peeling lip on the asphalt. Around 4k it unglues itself some more and its not just a lip anymore… it´s hungry (has a full mouth). I´m starting to get worried because i still have 6k left to go and at this rate, i´m going to be tripping over myself.
I look to my right and to my left at the other runners around me and wonder desperately if my situation is "fixable". A lady nearby tells me i´m going to have to peel off the sole - it´s my only choice. What?? i´m in the middle of a race! I can´t stop to perform cosmetic surgery on my running shoe. But I'm starting to trip over the flapping sole and see the sense in her opinion. I stop a the top of a downhill, hoping that any time lost will be quickly recovered by my post-op speed.
It peels quite easy halfway… and then it stops. I can't pull more - it´s stuck. I desperately look around and silently curse the situation i´m now in. This is totally worse than before!! The lady with the "smart" idea comes to my rescue and tells me to lift my foot. I hold on to her shoulders, raise my foot and and as i hop around trying to not lose my balance, she tugs hard to peel off the remaining piece of sole. It comes free! Hallelujah! We share a quick high-5 and set off running to recover our lost time. It doesnt feel the same, but at least i´m not tripping over myself anymore.



No comments:
Post a Comment