About 30 kids were present as I shared of the fun activities a kid could enjoy living here at the hospital (as we do): Pony rides, zip lines, fishing, feeding baby calves, etc. But not only are there fun activities, but there is a large building where sick people can go to see a doctor who can fix them up. Our doctors see all kinds of people and all kinds of diseases -- especially Leprosy. I taught them what Leprosy looks like and how it is and is not spread and cured. We did volunteer activities where the kids were placed in a situation where they were "crippled" by the consequences of this disease. One child, with socks on his hands had to imitate the loss of fine motor skills and perhaps also digits, needed to close buttons on a shirt. Another needed to serve herself a cup of water and drink it. Yet another needed to write her name on a chalkboard. All these exercises proved difficult and frustrating to all participants. The point was driven home… Many of those who go undiagnosed with Leprosy face the consequences of not having the medication that cures them and therefore are prone to accidents, due to loss of sensitivity. These consequences make life more difficult to some because they are no longer able to do menial activities as efficiently as before. With socks on their hands, the kids got a taste of what "different" feels like.
I encouraged and challenged them to be accept and help those who are different than they are -- even those without Leprosy. Their eagerness to learn was humbling. I can only hope that a tiny seed was planted within each one their lives that will bloom into a gorgeous blessing.
In preparation for my presentation, I used the very helpful guides specifically made for children that a German organization that works with Leprosy designed (click here -- in German).

No comments:
Post a Comment