My 7 year old has ADHD. He was diagnosed last year in September, and since then our perspectives on "normalcy" have been rearranged. I'm sure that our experience is similar to those of so many others: the confusion, insecurity, frustration, long-suffering, hope, etc. It's a huge package that's filled with the pretty little bows and also the shady, uncertain pieces.
I don't consider myself a person who is musically inclined. My mother made me pick an instrument as a child and so I did - the piano. She said it was good for me. And so now that I have children, I tell them the same thing: "Pick an instrument." And they have - the piano.
Two years ago was the first time I tried lessons for the first time with my then 5 year old. He didn't even make it in the church building. I didn't make a big deal out of it and we walked back home. One year ago, my spirited boy sat down for exactly half a lesson before the teacher suggested that he was perhaps not "mature enough" yet. After striking out two times I didn't have the intention of striking out a third time and decided that his lessons would begin when he, himself, asked for them. So this year, he asked for them. I sighed in preemptive frustration.
"Mama, come with me," he begged.
I did.
His body was literally vibrating with excitement as he saw his teacher walk in the door. He barely said goodbye before remembering his fear. I took a seat on one of the pews, out of sight, and prayed.
Please, God, let this be the right moment for this.
Let this also be something that's good for him
and helps him grow!
I hear the teacher speaking softly to my son. Gently guiding him in his lesson. When he tries to act out and show off, she kindly reminds him what the task is. I can't believe her. I can't believe HIM! It isn't 10 minutes past the beginning of the lesson and he is already going up the scale for Do to Do doing the cross-over with his right hand. I can't help being emotional and can feel the tears stinging at the back of my eyes.
WOW!! My ADHD son is having a real lesson and is really learning and no one is pulling their hair out. Actually, all involved seem to be enjoying it all.
This is all still new to me and I am learning every day new ways to cope and support the challenges my son faces. One thing I have learned, and I hope is of encouragement to other mothers who have similar situations, is that you have to take hope and strength in the small triumphs. You love your child as well as you can… and wrap yourself in the successes and breakthroughs you get. I felt covered in joy through this first piano lesson.

No comments:
Post a Comment