Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Pre-Lent Resolutions

Image result for lent

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and the first day of Lent. Last year for Lent I gave up Social Media on my cellphone. I did allow myself to use it on my laptop, but not on my mobile, ever-present device. It was an interesting experience that led me through times of abstinence frustration and then interestingly a gratifying satisfaction that I didn't need to always be connected. By Easter, though, a new feeling arose... The whole effort felt petty and cheap. Jesus gave his life for me, walked on water, invited me to sit at his banqueting table... and I, in return, gave up Facebook? I was proud of making it through the 40 days of Lent, but I also realized that for the next year I wanted to do something a little more significant. 

Thus, here I am. Still pondering at the last minute what I am going to do. I joined a group on Facebook called 40 Days of Giving Up. Its a sort of Lent Support Group. The group objective encourages us to reflect inwards and see what it is that we need to concentrate on to Give Up. Upon deep reflection, I realize that I need to give up my same-ol' routine. I need to enter a phase of renewal.  My kids are getting older and don't need me as much, I don't work full-time anymore and I recently assumed a position on my church council. Aside from having to tend to my home, my days have become meaningless. And unless I give up leaning on my old rhythm of life, I won't be able to move forward. 

So, my goal for this Lent season is to search for myself and for my place in this new season of life. 


No comments:

Trixi's Story: Leishmaniasis

  Have you ever heard of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)? It’s possible that the term rings a bell, but you aren’t particularly sure what...