Thursday, August 9, 2012

Gardening

I had such great feedback on my previous blog that my over-enlarged ego searched all day to find another provocative topic to write about today. To my chagrine..... NOTHING! I over-analyzed the most minimal detail of my day for transcendental significance... NOTHING! I'm laughing at myself right now. Laughing at my bloated (and wounded) pride. :) It's ok, though. I had a wonderful day enjoying time with my kids. A close friend of mine encouraged me to have an "Outside Day." At first I was overwhelmed because I'm not accustomed to being out of my house. Personally, there really isn't much of interest outside. But in the interest of... umm.... (* embarrassed shrug*) ...turning off the TV, i did it. Telly went off at 7:30 and I went outside with my 4-year-old & 1 1/2-year-old.

After shuffling through a storage room (twice) and checking other hiding places, i finally found the gardening shovels which were (to my absolute frustration) next to the potted plants (DUH!). I sectioned off where we'd be working and dug in. Alana got plain dirt, Nico got a spattering of weeds to pull & I tackled planting seeds. Error #1: No one stuck to their designated work place.

So I invited the two to help me plant the seeds. I pulled out my tupper of seeds and started to pick through them. Which to plant? Lettuce? Tomatoes? Parsley? Red Beets? Carrots? Melons? But then a voice in my head reminded me that each seed has its season. Error #2: I didn't know which seeds I could plant. So we cleaned up our working area, packed up the diaper bag & the seeds tupper & went to visit a neighbor who happens to be a gardening guru.

Upon our return we planted the 2 types of seeds that were season-appropriate. Only 2? That sure took a bit of wind out of my sails... but the kids had fun, our hands got dirty & in 10-15 days we should see some germinating sunflowers & Cosmes - both flowers.

Morning Results:
1. The kids were happy to have had some play time w/ mommy.
2. The Garden got worked on a little bit
3. Inside stayed clean (YAY!!)
4. The errors didn't ruin the experience :)

I hope to have "Outside Days" more often. It wasn't so bad after all... :) 

A Flower in Bloom in the Garden - Gerbera
A Package of Seeds we Planted

This was the Gag-Seeds for A b/c she desperately wanted to plant something


Yep... She thinks she's planting 
Digging

No comments:

Trixi's Story: Leishmaniasis

  Have you ever heard of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)? It’s possible that the term rings a bell, but you aren’t particularly sure what...