Friday, October 19, 2012

TOMATOES

I bought tomatoes. TONS OF TOMATOES!!! :) :)

I sure wish i'd taken pictures... but this is what I made:

1. Tomato Juice using a great recipe I found on Simply Recipes. The lady from the site swears it tastes like the V8. It turned out ok... wasn't thrilled and won't make it again. It was like drinking my lunch. HAHA!



2. Pomarola Sauce: This was the reason I bought the bushel of tomatoes. A huge batch of Pomarola helps w/ almost any menu you want to use. It's good for pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, any sauce w/ meat, lasagna, etc. I don't have a link for a recipe bc i didn't use one I just threw into my food processor (i did the following 3 times - aka. a tripled batch) 6 quartered tomatoes, 3 garlic teeth, 1 green pepper & 1 onion. Pour it into a pot & let it simmer w/ Cumin & Salt. This is an online pic I found that looks really similar to what i was making:


After simmering it for about 10 minutes, i spooned it out into sterile glass jars & put the glasses upside down to cool. All 6 jars popped. So yummy!

3. Tomato Salad. Also made a tomato salad w/ olive oil, salt and sour oranges. 

No wonder the kids commented on so many tomatoes!!

I still have about half the crate & i'm quickly running out of ideas :( I'm looking for non-freezing options to save freezer space. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Trixi's Story: Leishmaniasis

  Have you ever heard of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)? It’s possible that the term rings a bell, but you aren’t particularly sure what...