Sunday, October 21, 2012

"Pretty" Verse Quest for Sanity



I had a particularly trying day yesterday. It felt like nothing worked the way i had intended it to.There was incessant fighting, arguing, whining, running, etc. I couldnt get my lunch on the table or the dishes in the kitchen washed. The mountain of clothes... i wont even go there! But what most bugged me was my children.  I realized I was in a bad place when i shouted at one for nagging and sent her to stand for 5 minutes in the corner (instead of the usual 2 minutes).

So while she was still (unjustly) standing in the corner and the other two were set in front of the Telly, I pulled out my Bible and dusted it off. I closed my eyes and asked God to show me something to read. I usually never partake of this "magical" form of spirituality. I think its cheap and superstitious. But i was pulling out my hairs and superstition was not beyond my mental instability of the moment.

"YOU ARE FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE...." (Ps. 139).

I closed my eyes and let Gods soothing words soothe my soul.... But then... I heard the little one in the corner who had timeout starting to play and the soothened soul rumpled... I forced my eyes back down to my Bible to re-read the verse on being so wonderful. But as I did, my eyes were dragged to Ps. 140 and at its first words. I promise! I couldnt help myself! It was like a cliff-hanger!

Following is my personal synthesis of Davids Psalm entitled PROTECTION FROM MY ENEMIES. (Yup... you read that correctly)

            "Rescue me, O Lord,
             Preserve me...
             Keep me, O Lord.
             Preserve me.

             I said to the Lord, "You are my God;
             Give ear, O Lord, to the voice of my supplications.
             Oh God, the strength of my salvation,
             You have covered my head in the day of battle
           
             (and then a pleasantly sarcastic portion....)
             May burning coals fall upon them.

             I know that the Lord will maintain the cause of
             the afflicted and justice for the poor."

Can you see the parallels with my frustrated soul? As I began reading this Psalm, I couldnt help but feel connected to David and his supplication to God to protect him from his kids (oh! enemies!). I needed rescuing. I needed Him to preserve me from insanity. I needed to feel like He was keeping me close to Him. And a second time... I needed him to protect my sanity!! But as awesome as David usually is, he doesnt usually end his monologues on a negative note.


  • FIRST, David vents his frustrations. 
  • SECOND, he sets himself in his place. "You are my God..." therefore recognizing Gods superiority... someone else is in control
  • THIRD, he lets God know what he wants. "Give ear to my supplications, cover my head in battle"
  • FOURTH, dont ever take everything you read in the Bible as a 100% truth for your lives... HAHA! Although in this case it was pleasantly sarcastic and humorous in that moment to imagine a divine punishment for my kids.... Take the laughs as you can... revive your soul with laughter
  • FIFTH, David was convicted. "I know". If you falter every time you go through troubles, eventually you will sink. Know in whom your faith/hope/strength lies
  • SIXTH, His promise... (here my soul is soothed once again...) "The Lord will maintain the cause of the afflicted... and justice for the poor (of wits? - haha!)


I just had to share this with you guys. I went searching for a "pretty" verse of encouragement and God gave me a Prayer for Protection from my Enemies. Dont limit Him and take courage...

Mothering little kids doesnt last forever.

(HAHA! Im still giggling over the coals!)


No comments:

Trixi's Story: Leishmaniasis

  Have you ever heard of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs)? It’s possible that the term rings a bell, but you aren’t particularly sure what...